Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Yeah, That's Right; I'm a Marathoner!

Friday night I picked up my packet and browsed around.  I was so excited and anxious I could hardly contain myself. I was worried my excitement would turn to nervousness, but it never did.  I gave everyone strict instructions that I would be going to bed by 9PM and I was not to be disturbed for any reason.

Before I knew it, it was 4AM Saturday morning.  I bounded out of bed and put on the supplies that I carefully checked off the night before.  I was ready! 

I met up with two runners I met online and we boarded the buses.  I was still excited and just wanted to GO!  When we reached the mountain, we did a quick pit stop and waited by the fire barrels.  I ran into my old home teacher that gave me some great last minute advice and it was inching closer to start time.  I lingered in the back a little because I knew I would be a slower runner.  My goal this whole time was to finish healthy, strong and injury free.  I approached all my training the same way.  I knew if I didn't exert myself that this would be the wonderful experience I was hoping for.

The count down started and away we went.  I had to use the bathroom almost instantly and made a quick stop.  I walked through the first aide stations, just as planned and drank all I could hold. I kept running forward.

At mile 8 I started looking for Hayden and Sydney and saw them on bikes heading my way with a sign:


I started to cry.  It was so wonderful to see them and to know I was on track.  Nothing encourages you more than seeing your family rooting for you.  The next big milestone was the half way mark; mile 13.1.  A young man ran down toward me and offered me food.  I took a half a banana and he said let me run with you.  He ran me in and made sure he got my name.  I can not express how much having these wonderful volunteers made such a positive experience of this race.  Throughout the next 10 miles or so, I would see this same young man on a bike, asking me by name how I was doing and encouraging me. 

What was surprising to me is how fantastic I felt.  The time was just racing by and I felt good!  The next big obstacle was the 1/2 uphill portion of the race.  I had planned ahead of time to walk up the hill.  On the way up my left knee started feeling out of sorts, so I made sure I took long, stretching strides to make sure it was getting the full range of motion.  I reached the point just before entering the canyon and was making decent time (to my standards). 

The canyon was beautiful and just breathtaking.  I just ran forward without much thought, though I was becoming increasingly aware of a small stone in my shoe, I didn't want to stop for it.  If you are going to do a marathon, you just can't beat the ability to lose yourself in this canyon.  The miles just melted away.  As I exited the canyon I was very aware of the 23 mile marker.  Everyone had warned me about this point in the race as you come off the downhill slope and do rolling hills and its supposed to be brutal on your legs.  I was running this section thinking to myself how easy and nice this section was.  I didn't know what all the fuss was.  Apparently my body decided to make me aware of what the fuss was about.  I suddenly became aware of some pain in my feet and hips.  I started walking around mile 24.  As mile 25 was approaching, I was not going to allow myself to not run in.  It plain was not going to happen, so I started running.  At mile 26, I could see the finish so close and started ugly crying.  A gentleman on the sidelines started running beside me and said, "No crying!  You show me a smile!" So I smiled to the end where I saw the family waiting for me.  I ran to their arms and started crying loudly and uncontrollably.  It was such an overwhelming and wonderful feeling to know that I had just finished a full marathon and my family and friends were there waiting for me.  It was so much a sacrifice for them as it was for me during my training. 






I felt and feel so absolutely fantastic.  I never felt over tired.  I never hit any walls. The day was perfect.  The course was perfect.  My shoelaces never once came untied.  It was as if everything just came together perfectly for my special experience.  I just kept going slow and steady, just like Simon has taught me.   


2 comments:

  1. I'm bawling! As I was reading I could feel myself reading faster as you were running and slowing as you were walking and by the time the man ran to you saying, "No Crying!" and I saw Simon's picture...I was bawling! You are truly a "HERO"! What an amazing experience you will never ever forget and YOU DID IT!!!! Love you girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!! I love how the course volunteers supported you so individually! So proud of you for finishing a big hard thing!

    ReplyDelete