Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I Got my Bib# and Now I Might Puke

I opened an email this morning from GOAL Foundation, they are the people who send you the correspondence about the marathon.  Enclosed was my bib# and the reminder that we were less than two weeks away.  My nerves wet up and I thought I might throw up!  It seemed soooooo long away and I couldn't wait for it to get here.  Now its here and I'm full of anxiety, but still really excited to start and especially finish.

There is no doubt in my mind I can finish.  I read the most beautiful thing today, something I had misunderstood in the past; this new knowledge lifted a HUGE weight.  I had the understanding that I had to be finished by 1:00pm; I felt iffy about being able to finish in 6 hours, because I KNOW I'll need potty breaks; there is just no two ways about that.  My long run pace can run into the 14min/mile range sometimes and with potty breaks I was concerned.  WELL, I just have to be out of the canyon by 1:00.  That is NO PROBLEM at all.  I KNOW I can do that.  What a gift to finally, really read this carefully and understand it.  My anxiety went down about 50 notches.  Whew!

If you've done long distance running, you understand how BM's become a big part of your life.  I thought having Simon got me obsessed with poop; I had no idea it could get worse.  Luckily I have found some great resources, but none so helpful as my new favorite blog and all her good, practical advice about everything, especially poop found here.  She talks about the good the bad and the ugly about all aspects of running and I appreciate it so much.  I just hope my nerves don't make it all moot!

So before I know it, I'll be waking up at 4am to drive down and catch the bus to the start line by 5am on Saturday, May 19th.  All I can do is run forward.  I do know that I've got that in me.  Yesterday I kept trying to talk myself out of running, then into running a shorter distance; but I kept moving forward.  I have the preserverance to do this; I've done the training.  Now all I have to do is show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment