Thursday, July 5, 2012

Chromo Kids are Human Too!

If you're a doctor reading this and think my kid and any kid like him shouldn't be allowed to live.....keep reading. 

With many kids with chromosomal abnormalities, we can anticipate that there will be some health issues.  With children without chromosomal abnormalities, we can anticipate that there will be some health issues.  How do we decide which one is worthy to live or have their life mean something?  I read today on a community board for SN children that a mother with a new chromosomal child whois having desating spells while refluxing was advised to stop tube feeds and let the child slip away.  Starving to death is not a painless death.  I think asking a parent to allow their child to starve would go against EVERYTHING being a parent is.  I think being a medical professional who has taken an oath to do no harm; it would be going against everything they believe and took an oath to do.  So how is it, in modern society acceptable to think of these children as no more than an inhuman object deserving of starving to death?  How does that happen.  How do you see this person and because they have chromosomes you don't understand yet in every other way is a human child, consider them an object worthy of death because they just aren't worth the hassel.  Because they won't have the quality of life that others have.  How so?  I know plenty of worthless, non-contributing, normal chromomosomed people who do nothing but suck from society, yet their life is more valuable, why?

I know I wouldn't be as passionate about this if it wasn't for Simon.  THANK YOU GOD for his and your lessons.  Simon has had challenges.  Simon has been near death many times.  We did all we could do to help him fight his fight to live.  I would never deny him anything a typical child would need to survive under the same medical challenges.  His chromosomes make him no less my child that I will love and protect than my other two children.  What he has contributed to society is countless.  The impact he and others like him have had on my life and many others is countless.  How in the world do you put a value on that? 

1 comment: