Friday, July 13, 2012

Why I'm Against the ACA and any Government Controlled Healthcare.

No, I'm not a rich Republican; not by a long shot.  No I don't hate everything President Obama does, though I do mostly disagree with his policies.  I look for things to like, just can't find much.  This is just from my perspective and what we've experienced as a family.  No, Simon does not get Medicaid or disability or all those things people just assume you "get" when you're disabled.  We pay for Simon's medical bills ourselves.  I did leave work to care for him and ask for Medicaid and SSI.  There was a time when I thought that was the thing that would make everything easier.  There were many situations that made it so difficult to find a true answer to certain issues and sometimes the ramifications would be for us to pay back for these services when mistakes were made by the caseworkers and ended up doing more harm to our financial situation than good.  Finally I was no longer comfortable trusting the clerks who represented these programs and decided to return to work.  Luckily we have $5000 FSA for this one last year, which is already used up.  We make decent money, have no savings and struggle to pay Simon's medical bills and our other bills.  God help us if our expenses go up any more than they already have, we'll be one of the middle class people losing our home because of medical bills AFTER the reform.  Though its a house that is falling apart right now and we can't afford to fix it, we still hope to stay in it as we call it home.  We are still working on the changes WE can make to remedy this.

The healthcare bill did this to us middle class people it was supposed to help:

- Simon cannot be denied insurance, but they can charge us whatever they want
- No lifetime cap, okay, that one is good. 
- Cut FSA to $2500 a year.  We're screwed! (actually we will find a way to put some of our imaginary money aside to make up the difference)
- Medical Equipment has a new tax (we're screwed, most of Simon's monthly bills are DME related)

Issues that haven't been resolved in my mind yet:

- Our Nation's leaders are exempt
- Insurance companies were HAPPY and supported this bill
- No one seems to really know what is in this bill or how it will affect people in the long run
- It's based on John McCain's plan he spoke of during the election; I disagreed with him

I feel this bill was a win for big business, not for the people.  I'm not against big business, but I am when its trying to be spun as a benefit to the people. In my opinion, the working class people got screwed again.  We're so used to it now, we just bend over and figure out how to make it work. 

If this bill works for you, great.  If you have information that might help me feel better about what I listed above, great; share it.  If you want to try to bully me or personally attack me because in your world that's how you get people to change their mind; don't bother, I couldn't care less what you think.  I especially enjoy listening to angry wealthy people try to pretend to be one of us struggling families or pretend to understand what it is like to truly struggle financially when someone's life literally depends on it, tell me how good this is for me. 

There is no doubt that reform has to be made.  I want reform that empowers me and my choices, not makes me a dependent slave to government and insurance companies.  Government control will never be on the table for me as I have experienced what happens when the government is in charge of my son's health care.  It ain't pretty. 



No comments:

Post a Comment