Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are so thankful for good family.

Joseph brought his girlfriend Meagan. She is such a sweet girl and she was a nice addition. I appreciate how Penny (my mother-in-law) always makes everyone feel so welcome. Meagan was just like the part of the family; no beats were skipped......

Hayden is so darn skinny and you would never know it was possible for as much as that kid can put away. He enjoyed 2nd and 3rds and two slices of pie. There is something satisfying about seeing a good eater for some reason.

Simon licked some lemon cream cheese pie and some fruit salad off his lips. He even allowed me to put it all on his lips with a spoon. There was a time when this kid wouldn't even play with a spoon in therapy. He'd play with the knives, the forks; but never a spoon. It was great. He also had some cranberry juice mixed with 7-up in a dixie cup and let me help him drink from the cup. He didn't open up, but again allowed the cup and the liquid touch his lips. These are HUGE breakthroughs that only a tube mom can really appreciate I think; but we invite you to celebrate with us.

I am not a Black Friday shopper so I went to bed at a good time and slept for 8 whole hours in a row. It felt great. I am at work and its just a nice quiet day. I'm thankful for those days. Once you have a house full of boys I think a quiet place anywhere feels really nice. I did manage to get some Christmas shopping done. I considered for a split second to get Simon a motorized Jeep LOL He's sitting in chairs well now so I thought how much fun for him! Then I realized there were no side supports and that the fun to be had was probably mine, not his. So I think we are going to check out the Tonka Chuck. It looks like just the sort of thing Simon would enjoy. He can hit it and bang it and throw it and it will talk to him and vibrate. I can't imagine a better choice.

I know we don't need special days to remember to be thankful, but those days help us to remember. I am thankful for so much. I have great family and friends around me when I need those shoulders and to whom I can be a shoulder which is equally as rewarding. I think about how far Simon has come and all his struggles and it hit me: Sometimes those steps backward are just what is needed to prepare for the propel forward. I can not deny he is progressing all the time. Even with the set backs, getting some of those things treated correctly is just what he needs to take those next few steps forward. He'll get where he needs to be when he needs to get there; just like we all do.

1 comment: