Friday, January 11, 2013

It's 2013! How Can That Be?!

Boy, I've been slacking at this blogging stuff.  Around October our lives got really hectic again.  Enjoy the mundane people, its a gift!

I took a week off in October for some routine doctors appointments for me and Simon.  At Simon's we discovered that he needed surgery on his achilles because his feet were twisting down and in.  I knew the one foot looked bad, but was surprised to find out the other one was in worse shape. This surgery involved wearing casts for 4 weeks.  That part made me the most nervous.  I thought he would be miserable.  He wasn't, he adapted really quickly.  We also found out his spine and hips aren't doing great, but don't need to be addressed immediately. I'll be going back and forth here so bear with me....

A couple of days later, I found out that I have an abnormal (looking), very large cyst on my ovary and a large fibroid.  The cyst was suspect, but facing a surgery for Simon so soon, I just plain didn't want to deal with it.  So my doctor agreed to take my blood for some tumor markers and if it came back normal she would let me wait 3 months.  My blood was normal, whew! So I was able to wait, unless I had severe pain, then she told me to go to the emergency room....

Simon had surgery November 6th and it went beautifully.  While we were waiting for him to come out of recovery, I started having pretty bad pain.  I just prayed and decided, its not going to happen right now; I can't have this happen right now.  Simon ended up doing so well, we were able to go home instead of staying over night and we all relaxed a lot better and my pain subsided.

Four weeks later Simon got his casts off.  He thought the saw was funny and he was in a great mood.  Once the air hit his legs, he lost it and cried and cried.  Then he started vomiting.  He still had to have his braces fitted so we hung out in Shriner's waiting room with me catching vomit with their free blankets.  I finally put Thor the Dinosaur on for him and he calmed down.  From that point on he had a cough.  We figured he must have aspirated and just hoped it would work itself out.  Then about a week later, he coughed, gagged and then started throwing up and didn't stop.  I couldn't even keep a tsp of Pedialyte down him so we went to the emergency department for IV's.  He was doing great and we brought him home.  He seemed to be making progress with the help of Zofran, but he seemed like he was in pain.  Dave started getting sick and I was covered to my elbows in puke.  I ended up in pain the next morning when Simon woke up throwing up around 4am, Dave was feeling better so he had me lay down while he tended to Simon.  A few hours later he woke me because Simon didn't look right.  I took one look and knew it wasn't good, we decided he needed to go to the hospital.  While we were getting changed he passed out and became unresponsive.  We called 911.  When they got there his glucose was 46 and by the time he got to the ambulance it was 41.  His little body just couldn't regulate itself any longer and he needed some help.  He was in the hospital 4 days.  It took about another two weeks after that to have him on normal feeds and have his bowels working properly. 

That was just before Christmas.  We had a great Christmas, if not a hurried one, trying to get ANYthing ready.  We were blessed with an anonymous package on our porch with a ham and cash.  It was such a kind blessing and reminder that we are loved.  Sometimes when you're caught up in challenges, you need that reminder that there is help and you don't have to do it alone.  I hate to bug people with our issues.

The beginning of the year, I had my follow up ultra sound and it wasn't good news.  My doctor called me herself the same day and let me know that she wanted an MRI. We have some plans in mind depending on what the MRI shows.  I kind of had a bit of a hissy fit, because I just feel too tired to deal with anything else.  But this type of issue comes wtih pain and other inconveniences and it needs to be addressed.  I've come to peace with that now.  As far as cancer, she won't know until she has the tissue in hand and she's been very honest; but the majority of these are begnin so I'm just taking it all one step at a time.

Just tons and tons of excitment in our home.  After all the Simon stuff especially and being cooped up in the hospital I was aching to run.  It was snowy and icy and I usually run inside in the winter, but I decided to go for it and I LOVED it.  I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it.  Though I am having some pain associated with my girlie issues, I'm running as much as I can so I don't have to work so hard to a base after I recover from everything.  I did have to give up my marathon and ragnar spots and I was so, so bummed.  But it will give me the opportunity to address these things, get stronger and kick ass next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment